Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
The BH&G $400 winner of the bread and rolls category. A great use of an overactive garden!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly coat a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon; set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and remaining cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes or until foamy.
- Add remaining sugar, the applesauce, butter, and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Stir in zucchini, nuts, and raisins. Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on rack.
- Wrap and store several hours before slicing. Makes 16 slices.
Outstanding! omitted raisins. used pecans (not walnuts). best bread ever! better flavor and texture than any banana or pumpkin bread I've ever baked or tasted. I will make this often - for family, guests and holiday giving.