Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
This is an exceptional bread. Made with applesauce instead of oil makes it a healthier version and still has the same taste. Found in my Mother-In-Laws old recipes ;)
Top Review by Primordial
Excellent recipe. Only changes I made were to add 1/2 cup raisins and sub pecans for walnuts. I would say the amount of batter was a bit much for a single loaf pan, so the top didn't rise as well as it might've, but that's a minor quibble. This is now my "go to" recipe for sweet zucchini bread. Thank you Chef-V!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly coat a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- After shredding zucchini, be sure to drain excess liquid. I do this in my hand or in a strainer.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the sugar and 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon; set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with electic mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes or until foamy.
- Add remaining sugar, the applesauce, butter and vanilla. Greadually add the flour mixture.
- Beating on low speed just until combined, stir in zucchini, and nuts. Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan. Cool completely on rack. Wrap and store several hours before slicing.