Prep 20 mins
Cook 17 mins
These cookies are so good with a sweet cream cheese filling that goes in the middle! Perfect for eating in your kitchen or pack them up and take them on a picnic or to a potluck! Adapted from Martha Stewart Living magazine(March 2011). Go to marthastewart.com/cookies-clip-art to get some cute labels for your cookies. Print onto adhesive paper or attach with double sided tape.
- 1 cup flour (may substitute 1/4 of the flour with whole wheat flour if desired)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- coarse salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini, finely grated
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (neufchatel is good)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoons salt into a bowl.
- Beat 1 stick(1/2 cup) butter and sugars(except confectioners) until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Beat flour mixture into butter mixture. Stir in zucchini, oats, and walnuts. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Using a 1 1/2" ice cream scoop(about 2 tbls.), drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden, about 17 minutes. Let cool on wire rack. Enjoy!
- To make filling:.
- Beat the remaining 1/2 stick butter(1/4 cup), cream cheese, and confectioners sugar until smooth.
- Spread 1 heaping tbls. filling onto the flat side of 1 cookie, and top (with the flat side down) of another cookie. Repeat with remaining filling and cookies.
- You can make these ahead. Unfilled cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.