Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was the original recipe that taught me to love zucchini.
- 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- reserve 1/4 cup for nuts and raisins
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1 cup sliced pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Soak zucchini for an hour in ice water; dry and grate un-peeled.
- In a large bowl beat eggs on high speed until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar and oil.
- Spoon flour into cup for measuring.
- Sift into another bowl 3 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- On low speed add dry ingredients to egg mixture along with wheat germ, alternate with zucchini.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon batter into two greased and lightly floured loaf pans lined with waxed paper.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven on middle shelf for 55-60 minutes or until bread tests done.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and turn out on wire racks.
- Serve hot or cold. Keeps well both refrigerated and frozen.