Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Turkish casserole. Very unusual and very tasty.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, cut in 1 1/2 inch rounds or cubes
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine
- 3 onions, chopped
- 4 ounces ground beef
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mint
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Also need moistened parchment paper to cover.
- In a heavy pan over medium heat, melt the butter or margarine and sauté the onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground meat and brown.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the cubed zucchini and mix gently.
- Lower the heat and cover.
- Cook for about 5 minutes more or until zucchini changes color.
- Add the broth, 1 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoons mint and stir.
- Cover mixture with the moistened parchment paper, cover pan and simmer for about 45 minutes, until zucchini is cooked.
- Sprinkle with dill weed before serving.