1/1 Photo of Zucchini Moussaka
1 hr 30 mins
Mia in Germany's Note:
This is my dad's version of moussaka. With zuchini instead of eggplant and without any cheese or cream, just with tomato sauce. You can add parmesan to taste to the sauce, though, or, if you want to be dairy free, some nutritional yeast (that's what I sometimes do). I never measure the amounts, just put together tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes and ground beef, so the amounts are an educated guess. I'm sure this can be done in a crock pot or in the oven, too, but we always make it on stove top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Finely mince the garlic cloves and shallot. Fry the ground beef with the minced garlic and shallot until nicely browned, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Peel and slice the potatoes, about 1/4 inch thick.
- 4Slice the tomatoes and zucchini likewise.
- 5Combine canned tomatoes, beef stock, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and 1/2 tablespoon pepper.
- 6Cover the ground of a large pot with the olive oil, then layer it with the sliced tomatoes.
- 7Sprinkle some Italian seasoning, salt and pepper on the tomatoes.
- 8Place a layer of sliced potatoes on the tomato layer, season the same way.
- 9Place a layer of sliced zucchini on the potato layer, season like the tomatoes and potatoes.
- 10Cover with the browned ground beef as last layer, then pour prepared tomato sauce over it.
- 11You can now sprinkle some parmesan on top. If you use nutritional yeast, I'd recommend to mix it into the tomato sauce. Parmesan mixed into the sauce is another option to play with.
- 12Bring the moussaka to a gentle boil, cover and let simmer on low heat for about 1 hour.
- 13Serve with plain yoghurt if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (614 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1190.9
- Calories from Fat 797
- Total Fat 88.5 g
- Saturated Fat 34.6 g
- Cholesterol 112.3 mg
- Sodium 187.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: