Recipe by By The Lake
Mousaka is one of my favorite Greek dishes and this is a great twist to the traditional recipe. Cinnamon and nutmeg are authentic to Greek Mousaka, please don’t omit it. My family loves this meal, it’s so easy and makes a lovely presentation! The smells are divine! Serve with a great bread and a simple garden salad. I don't know who to give credit for this recipe, it's been so long ago.
- 4 -5 medium zucchini or 1 1⁄2 lbs medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in 1/3 inch thick slices
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ground cinnamon
- dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked white rice
- 0.5 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly butter a 2 quart baking dish. Bring 3 cups water to boil in a large nonstick skillet. Add zucchini, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until crisp tender. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Filling: Wipe skillet clean. Add ground beef, onion and garlic. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Stir in cinnamon, oregano, and salt, then remaining filling ingredients. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times as spinach thaws. Stir in tomato sauce. Remove from heat.
- Topping: Melt butter in a 2 quart saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring 1 to 2 minutes without letting mixture brown. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, whisking constantly, 4 to 5 minutes until thickened and smooth. Whisk about 1/3 the hot mixture into beaten eggs, then whisk egg mixture into remaining sauce. Remove from heat; stir in nutmeg.
- Heat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. To assemble: Cover bottom of prepared baking dish with half the zucchini slices. Spoon on all the Filling, then cover with remaining zucchini. Pour on Topping and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly and top is lightly golden.