Recipe by windhorse23
I found this recipe in a cookbook I picked up at a thrift shop for ten cents. It's called "Food Writers Favorites-Quick & Easy Entrees." I made a few small changes and it came out great, plus it was a cinch to make. Next time I'll try it with ground turkey or chicken instead of the lamb, which was harder to find, more expensive, and definitely higher in fat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small zucchini, unpeeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick (or substitute eggplant, also unpeeled)
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground lamb
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup feta cheese, broken up with fork
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or 1/2 cup romano cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add zucchini and onion. Sauté about 3-5 minutes, until the onion is softening. Remove from pan and put in 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Set aside.
- In the same skillet brown the lamb, breaking up large chunks. Drain off grease.
- In small bowl combine tomato sauce, garlic, salt and cinnamon. Add to skillet, Mix well and simmer the mixture a few minutes (about 5.).
- Spread meat mixture over the zucchini. Sprinkle feta cheese and Parmesan evenly over top, covering meat completely. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.