Recipe by Whisper
This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Thru the Grapevine. Another different way to use the zucchini in your garden.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
This was really good - basically a grated zucchini gratin. I added a bit of cayenne pepper cause I wanted a little more 'zing' in ours, but otherwise followed the recipe to a T. Good comfort food.
- 3 8 inch zucchini
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup light cream
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, buttered
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate zucchini; add salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Wring out zucchini and save juice.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add flour; blend and cook 2 minutes.
- Add reserved juice and thicken; add zucchini.
- Thin with light cream.
- Season to taste.
- Add 1/3 cup Swiss cheese; turn into buttered shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup Swiss cheese over zucchini; top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.