Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is a good base for pasta or pizza sauce. When thawed, just add garlic, herbs and cheese and away you go. This works just as well with canned tomatoes.
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 -6 cups diced zucchini
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Chop or partially puree tomatoes to your liking.
- Heat oil in large pan.
- Add onion and celery, saute for about 10 minutes or until onion and celery are soft.
- Add zucchini and cook until soft.
- Add tomatoes, sugar and salt.
- Bring to boil, and turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cool and pack into freezer containers.
- Freeze up to 3 months.
Great Idea for the zucchini, I added fresh herbs and garlic. Be great for a quick meal later. Thanks a lot for another good idea.
This is a good idea for all that leftover zucchini. I left out the sugar as my tomatoes were sweet enough. We had it on homemade pizza, very good. Thanks!