Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great way to use up zucchini and a good side dish with a Mexican entree.
- 1 medium onion, slice thinly
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cutup, drained
- 2 tablespoons diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder, seasoned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- Saute onion in oil.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the cheese.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place zucchini mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
We loved this! The landlord had given us some ginormous summer squashes (the "yellow zucchini", lol) from his garden, and I was looking for a different way to prepare them. Oddly enough, I was a bit skeptical of the cheese in this before trying it, but we both really enjoyed it. DH actually had two big servings of it with dinner (usually he asks for a second helping of the protein, but rarely the veggies). I'll have to keep this recipe on hand for zucchini season, thanks for posting! Made for The Honeys for ZWT8
This was so good - I adjusted the recipe for 1 pound of zucchini. This turned out great and the flavors were fabulous...loved the cheese and this went great with our TexMex dinner tonight. Will definitely make this again as it's a nice variation for zucchini. I sliced mine a little thicker than called for and they baked up without getting too soggy. Thanks for posting - made for ZWT8 and the Herbaceous Curvaceous Honeys.
Mmmmm :) yes, we liked this very much :) I did use more tomatoes and their sauce, but thats okay, we do like lots of sauce. And I didn't realise that I had used up all my mozzarella, so I had to use grated cheddar, and I crumbled a little feta on top of that. Really good way to use a vegetable that is always readily available and usually well-priced. We enjoyed this with recipe#485199, all in all a lovely vegetarian meal :) Made for Family Picks, ZWT8