Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A nice flavorful family dish with my homemade glaze
FOR THE MEATLOAF
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix all the meatloaf ingredients until well blended, then press this mixture into an ungreased 9 1/2 inch deep dish glass pie plate.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all the topping ingredients well.
- After the 35 minutes remove meatloaf from the oven, and pour topping on the meatloaf, spreading evenly.
- Return the meatloaf to oven, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until thoroughly cooked in center, and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Great flavor! I don't feel the type of pan to cook it in is so important (I used a glass 8x8 dish) and made half the recipe for the two of us. What matters is taste, and this meatloaf does not dissapoint! I did not use lean ground beef, so next time I would add a bit more breadcrumbs as the only issue was it was so moist and juicy that we had to scoop it with the side of our fork to eat it. When we tried to use the tines of the fork to pick a piece up, it would fall apart. I put the ketchup mixture on top at the start of baking the meatloaf. I always do my meatloaf that way because it thickens up the ketchup. Overall, a really great recipe and a great way to use up zucchini. Oh, and the flavor is fantastic! Thanks for another great recipe Doug!
Terrific meatloaf and the glaze put it over the top! I elected to attempt this in the crockpot in order to reduce the heat the kitchen and it turned out beautifully. I used a crockpot bag & formed the meatloaf into a shallow oval and cooked on low around 6 hours. The glaze was added the last hour. Other than using extra lean ground sirloin I made no changes in ingredients. The meatloaf is tasty & the zucchini well used in the recipe. Next time (& there will be a next time) I will double the glaze. This was my hubby's favorite contest recipe. Good luck in the contest!
Great tasting meatloaf!! We loved the glaze too. However with the pie plate there was no place for the juices to run off, so it was a bit soggy. Also the timing was off, I think because the zucchini was too wet.