A simple marinated zucchini salad from Italy. The zucchini is uncooked but through marinating and the use of plenty of lemon juice the zucchini acquires an "al dente"/semi-cooked texture. I only make this recipe at the peak of zucchini season in summer when quality and selection are best. From Mediterranean Light. Especially good with fresh basil!
- 1 lb zucchini, washed, sliced paper thin (or comparable squash such as crookneck or pattypan)
- 1 large lemon, juice of, more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and cut in half
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 -3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Note: It is your choice to peel or not peel the zuchhini.
- Toss the thinly sliced zucchini with the lemon juice, garlic halves, olive oil; salt and pepper to taste. (If I think about it, sometimes I add a bit of finely grated lemon zest, too.) Remember to use a non-reactive bowl for marinating.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate 4-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Once you are ready to serve the salad, remove the garlic cloves. Save one garlic clove, finely minced and toss back into the salad along with the fresh herb of choice. *Important*: stir in the fresh herbs with the zucchini mixture [just] before serving.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Best eaten within 24 hours.