Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
The Monterey Jack cheese is surprising in this "Italian" dish but it works better than Italian cheeses, in my opinion.
- 2 -3 zucchini, unpeeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) jar marinara sauce (or the equivalent amount of homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (4 ounces)
- Saute zucchini in 3 Tablespoons olive oil until lightly browned; drain.
- Place in 1-1/2 quart casserole.
- Combine marinara sauce, wine, remaining oil, garlic, basil and oregano in small saucepan; stir well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon sauce over zucchini; mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese over sauce; cover.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes longer.
After reading a lot of reviews for zucchini I am beginning to believe that my DH is one of the few men who loves zucchini. Having said all that I like this recipe. The red wine gives is a little lift. I did add some hot pepper flakes, and, also have added cooked med. hot Italian sausage cut in chunks. Also like Monterey Jack cheese and often substitute for other cheeses. Thanks for submitting. Now I have another zucchini recipe when the bounty hits.
This is a delicious side dish. I'm not very experienced cooking vegetables and so I wasn't absolutely sure how to cut the zucchini. I cut them in 1/8" thick rounds and sauted them in batches until they were lightly browned. I served this with Italian bread to soak up the tasty marinara sauce. I also couldn't help but to sprinkle some parmesan cheese on the top before putting it into the oven, uncovered, for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.