Recipe by TPubmgjbd
The Monterey Jack cheese is surprising in this "Italian" dish but it works better than Italian cheeses, in my opinion.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
After reading a lot of reviews for zucchini I am beginning to believe that my DH is one of the few men who loves zucchini. Having said all that I like this recipe. The red wine gives is a little lift. I did add some hot pepper flakes, and, also have added cooked med. hot Italian sausage cut in chunks. Also like Monterey Jack cheese and often substitute for other cheeses. Thanks for submitting. Now I have another zucchini recipe when the bounty hits.
- 2 -3 zucchini, unpeeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) jar marinara sauce (or the equivalent amount of homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (4 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute zucchini in 3 Tablespoons olive oil until lightly browned; drain.
- Place in 1-1/2 quart casserole.
- Combine marinara sauce, wine, remaining oil, garlic, basil and oregano in small saucepan; stir well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon sauce over zucchini; mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese over sauce; cover.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes longer.