Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is super easy, impressive looking, delicious and relatively healthy! What more could you ask for? I serve this in the summer time and it's a great alternative to a mundane veggie side. It's beautiful and will impress any guests! The number of zucchini you use greatly depends on the size. Eyeball it. I'm sure you will find something to do with them if there are any extras!
- 5 regular sized zucchini
- 1 (6 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheese, like Taco blend
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope vegetable soup mix
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, soup mix and shredded cheese.
- Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini and then cut them in half, lengthwise.
- With a teaspoon, gut the zucchini (but not all the way down to the skin) making sure to leave a little bit of flesh at the skinny tip of the squash.
- (You want there to be enough room that you can stuff the zucchini, but you want to have more than filler and skin).
- Fill the zucchini halves with the cheese mixture. (Don't be afraid to really stuff them.).
- Place zucchini on cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- After cooking, you may leave them in the oven to remain warm, but note that they will continue to brown on top. I happen to like that, some don't.
As another reviewer noted, this recipe is adaptable. It seems very forgiving if amounts are not exact. I only made up one zucchini log, eyeballing the "guts" ingredients, and that worked out well. For all those cooks out there wondering what to do with yet another zucchini from the garden, give this recipe a try.
I really liked this recipe. A nice quick side when you don't know what to fix with the ever popular zucchini. And I'd bet almost everyone has some dry soup mix in the pantry! Thnx for sharing your recipe, JennyLynn99. Made for PAC Spring 2010. You've been adopted! http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Very good, we loved these! I suspect that our South African 'baby marrows' are a little smaller generally than your zucchini, and I was serving only DH and I, so for my four zucchini I halved the filling mixture, and indeed, it was just right. I used half a packet of brown onion soup mix. Otherwise, they cooked perfectly and made an interesting and very tasty side dish, DH was impressed! Another time, I might lightly sautee the flesh removed from the zucchini and add it to the stuffing, so as not to waste it! Made for PAC Spring 2009, thank you JennyLynn for a lovely recipe!