Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
modified from www.lidiasitaly.com for a lower calorie version Note: You may need to place a tray underneath to catch anything that bubbles over!
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light butter, for pan
- 6 slices country grain bread, remove crust
- 800 g tomatoes, diced canned
- 200 g grana padano
- 3 garlic cloves
- 240 g drained can lentils
- 1 pinch dried basil, for seasoning
- 1 pinch pepper, for seasoning
- Rinse and dry zucchini, slice ends off and cut very thin lengthways slices. Put them in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tbs oil, tossing to coat them. (I did not do this step and it tasted fine.).
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Cut crusts of bread and dry bread, careful not to burn or darken.
- Butter lasagne dish generously.
- Mix tomatoes, garlic, pepper, lentils, basil and oil (if didn’t use before).
- Add one cup to bottom layer of dish thinly.
- Cover with the six pieces of bread layering the dish.
- Spoon 2 cups of sauce onto bread and spread evenly.
- Layer zucchini using half the slices.
- Press down and layer with cheese.
- Repeat layering of zucchini.
- Use the rest of tomato sauce and layer with cheese on top.
- Cut a piece of foil and cover dish, cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Take out and leave for 5 minutes before cutting serves.