Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I wanted to try something a little different when I found several containers of poppy seeds while organizing my spice cabinet. Since it was summertime and zucchini was coming in droves, this is what I came up with. I based this off of Zucchini Bread, but made enough changes thought it was worth adding my own version. This would probably be delicious with a lemon glaze as well. Enjoy!!
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 small lemons, zest of or 1 large lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 -3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 cups shredded zucchini or 1 large zucchini
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, soda, powder, cinnamon & poppy seeds; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, oil, milk, lemon juice, zest & salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet until combined.
- Stir in shredded zucchini.
- Divide batter into 2 regular-sized greased and floured loaf pans (I make a parchment paper sling longways in the pans to help the breads come out more easily).
- Bake for approximately one hour, turning temp down to 350 for last 15 minutes or so if loaves are getting too brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans, then place on a rack to cool completely.