Recipe by BumblingB's
This recipe came from Better Homes and Gardens. It's the first time I've used the no-boil lasagna noodles, and they were just fine. Certainly speeds things up. The quality/flavor of your marinara will of course affect the result - I use a garlicky one that I like. Not all no-boil lasagna noodles are the same size. Use enough to have 3 even, single layers. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Made this at the weekend, and as suggested, assembled it up to step 5. then cooled it, wrapped it, and froze it, since I intend to use it next week when we have friends over. So I haven't tasted it yet, but its easy to see its going to be delicious, moist, and full of flavour! I'll up date this review once we've had it :) Updated to add that I defrosted this overnight. added white sauce and then baked at 160 for about an hour, sprinkling with cheese halfway through. as expected, the flavours had blended together wonderfully, this was a vegetarian dish at a roast pork dinner party, Everyone tried it and loved it, and I was fortunate enough to have a little left over for my lunch.. and it is EVEN better! MMhmm, thanks for a Delish recipe. BumblingB's!!!!!!!
- 2 medium zucchini
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups marinara sauce (store bought or home-made)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, snipped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim ends off zucchini. Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise. You should have 9 slices total, about 1/8 inch thick. Place in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet; brush lightly with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat about 5 minutes until crisp tender, turning once. Cool.
- Grease a 2 quart square baking dish.
- In a large saucepan heat the remaining 3 teaspoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add the carrots, onion and garlic; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender. Add marinara sauce, basil, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small mixing bowl toss together the mozzarella cheese and parmesan; set aside.
- In the prepared baking dish arrange 2 noodles. Spread with a third of the sauce. Sprinkle with a third of the nuts. Top with a third of the zucchini, then sprinkle with a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layering, alternating the direction of the zucchini in each layer and finishing with the zucchini; set remaining cheese aside.
- Bake covered, in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare lasagna as directed, except do not bake. Wrap and freeze for up to 1 month. Freeze cheese for topping separately. To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes more, or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.