Recipe by SweetySJD
When my mom was diagnosed with diabetes I searched for low-carb recipes and this was one of them I came up with. You'll never miss the pasta.
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
This really turned out great. I used mushrooms instead of the turkey so it would be meatless, and I left out the bread crumbs to make it as low-carb as possible. I'll be making this again soon -- thanks for the recipe!!
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed or 4 medium summer squash
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground turkey
- 2 cups pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 16 ounces low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half, then cut each half lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick strips. Spread on pans in a single layer. Season with Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Bake 25 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey, cook, stirring to break up clumps, until no longer pink. Stir in pasta sauce and 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Remove zucchini from oven and reduce heat to 375 degrees.
- In a blender combine cottage cheese, remaining salt and pepper, basil, egg yolks and 2 TBS parmesan. Pulse until all ingredients are blended and smooth.
- Sprinkle 2 TBS bread crumbs in bottom of a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Top with half the zucchini, covering bottom of dish. Spread cottage cheese mixture over zucchini. Sprinkle with 3 TBS bread crumbs. Top with remaining zucchini. Sprinkle with 3 TBS bread crumbs. Top with turkey mixture. Spread mozzarella over turkey. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake at 375 degrees until cheese is browned and sides are bubbling, about 35 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.