Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for anyone going low carb OR who has so many zucchini, they don't know what to do!! :) We found the sauce to be very mild. I think it would be better with twice as much garlic. I boiled my zucchini slices for about 3 minutes so they were partially cooked. I wanted to make sure they were soft in the finished dish or I knew the kids wouldn't eat them. ;) The cottage cheese provides a slightly tangy note. I think we would have preferred ricotta, but that is personal taste. I use my 11x7 baking dish and got 6 pieces the size of what you see in my photos. Both of the guys ate two so it fed 4 of us, and I double the meat. Adjust the recipe accordingly for your family.
- 591.47 ml zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick (about 2 medium)
- 226.79 g lean ground beef (I use 1 lb.)
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, cut up
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 59.14 ml water
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml low fat cottage cheese (or low fat or fat free ricotta)
- 118.29 ml mozzarella cheese, shredded (I use 8 oz. divided)
- 4.92 ml flour
- Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- In small bowl slightly beat egg.
- Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
- In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Awesome base recipe, but made for tweeking. I doubled the beef, a must! I also doubled the seasoning and garlic. I used about 3 medium zucchini, (on top of sauce) sliced about 1/4" thick to line my baking dish boiled them a little so they would cook faster, seasoned with S&P. I did the cheese like in the recipe but it was really not enough compaired to all the meat in the sauce so I doubled that but I used ricotta cheese and seasoned that too. I added a layer of fresh basil leaves on the cheese. Layered the sauce and zucchini but on top of the last layer I added fresh mozzarella cheese. Let me tell you I could have eaten the whole tray. Will double to a 9x13 next time, definetly!! THANK YOU!! Just started a low carb way of eating and couldn't come up with anything. Now I have this.
Great reciepe!!! I ended up going with the no boil lasagna noodles (which I highly reccommend) instead of the zucchini slices. However I did use the zucchini. I grated 3 zucchini and mixed it in with the tomatoes and seasonings. I did add extra garlic and I did double the meat. After that I went accordingly to recipe. My family and I loved it! The kids (ages 7 and 4) did not notice that there was veggies in it! Wahoo! :) Score!
This is so good! We definitely did not miss the pasta! I used 1 lbs of ground beef, double the spices, and added salt. Before the salt the meat was pretty bland. I used ricotta because it had slightly less carbs than the cottage cheese I looked at. Also, I used a colby-jack blend because I'm not a huge mozzerella. This is definitely a keeper!! I am going to post it on my facebook right now :)