Great for anyone going low carb OR who has so many zucchini, they don't know what to do!! :) We found the sauce to be very mild. I think it would be better with twice as much garlic. I boiled my zucchini slices for about 3 minutes so they were partially cooked. I wanted to make sure they were soft in the finished dish or I knew the kids wouldn't eat them. ;) The cottage cheese provides a slightly tangy note. I think we would have preferred ricotta, but that is personal taste. I use my 11x7 baking dish and got 6 pieces the size of what you see in my photos. Both of the guys ate two so it fed 4 of us, and I double the meat. Adjust the recipe accordingly for your family.
- 2 1⁄2 cups zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (I use 1 lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup low fat cottage cheese (or low fat or fat free ricotta)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (I use 8 oz. divided)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- In small bowl slightly beat egg.
- Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
- In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.