Recipe by Colorado Lauralee
This is a version found on the Internet posted by 'tammysunshine5'. This is really a very good way to prepare vegetables with the Italian flare. Low fat cheeses can be used to lower the calories. And I think chicken Italian Sausage and ground chicken or turkey could be used for the meat.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarse chopped mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 unpeeled zucchini, sliced lengthwise into thin slices (about 8-inch long)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the beef and sausage in hot oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook for several minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes with juice, marinara sauce, salt, basil, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Combine the ricotta, eggs and parsley in a medium bowl.
- Spoon 1/4 of the sauce onto the bottom of a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Top with 1/3 of the zucchini, 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, and 1/4 of the mozzarella mixture.
- Top with another 1/4 of the sauce.
- Repeat the layers two more times (for a total of 3 layers), ending with the sauce.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and cover with remaining 1/4 of the mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes more, or until the cheese has melted.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.
- The number of servings is a guess.