Recipe by Derf
This recipe is an entry for Main Course in the RSC Summer 2004 contest (rest time not included in cook time)
Top Review by love4culinary
I really thought this was going to be booming with flavor, but I really thought it could have more "oomph". I dont know why the flavors just didnt seem to meld together... Maybe it would be better if you let it refrigerate overnight. I will try this again sometime to see why it didnt seem to meld very well. Thanks for the recipe. It is very creative.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 -3 large zucchini
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 -5 large sage leaves, chopped
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped with a little of the sauce (more if you wish, I used 2) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded cheese, of your choice (I used sharp cheddar)
- 1 cup fresh cubed brown bread, crusts removed or 1 cup white bread (I used brown)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rice, chicken stock, butter and salt in medium saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer tightly covered for 45 minutes, no peeking, or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- The rice can be prepared ahead.
- Preheat oven to 400f degrees.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and in half again if necessary to cover the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Do not peel and place the unpeeled pieces cut side up.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked rice, ground chicken, ricotta cheese, fresh sage, stewed tomatoes, chicken stock, garlic and chipotle peppers with some of the adobo sauce, if using, mix well.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and the cornstarch until smooth, add to rice mixture and mix well.
- Spread rice mixture evenly over the zucchini.
- Combine fresh bread cubes and shredded cheese, sprinkle mixture evenly over th rice mixture.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake uncovered for 60 minutes or until the middle is set.
- Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes, cut into squares and serve hot.
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated, add 5 or 10 minutes to cook time.
- Freezes well.