Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have been making for many years! If you have a over load of zucchini in the garden,give this a try for a change from the normal Lasagna.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground beef (or buffalo, elk, deer...)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (partially drained) or 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (partially drained)
- 4 -6 medium mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional) or 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
Spices (choose your own preferred flavors)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped (or 1.5 tsp dried)
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried fennel seed (optional, my Italian sausage usually has plenty)
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs zucchini (sliced and peeled nets about 1-1.5 lbs total)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmigiana parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces low moisture mozzarella cheese, grated
- Brown Italian sausage and ground meat on medium to medium high heat. Drain if needed. To the meat mixture add diced onions and allow to soften for 5 minutes. Add in garlic, stir for 30 seconds.
- Incorporate tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, salt, and Italian seasonings with meat. Reduce heat and allow to simmer stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes.
- Slice zucchini into thin horizontal sheets similar to lasagna pasta. Lay out and pat dry on paper towels. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan and eggs in a bowl until mixed well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Check meat sauce for flavoring, adjust if necessary (adding sugar to reduce acidity per taste preference).
- Once the meat sauce liquid has reduced remove from heat and line up all ingredients to assemble the lasagna.
- In a 13x9 glass baking dish combine a third of each ingredient in layers as follows:.
- -Zucchini slices.
- -Ricotta mixture.
- -Meat sauce.
- Repeat two more times.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly throughout and cheese is dark golden brown. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.