Recipe by Kerrikaye
This is a wonderful way to use your summer abundance of zucchini, it is a healthier twist to lasagna since it is pasta free. I adapted this recipe from one that I found in my recipe box. I also used fresh herbs from my garden but you can use dried.
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef (for a vegetarian meal you can leave meat out) or 1 lb sausage (for a vegetarian meal you can leave meat out)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 -3 zucchini
- 3 teaspoons flour
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, snipped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, snipped
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion, garlic and beef until cooked. Drain meat. Add sauce and simmer until heated through.
- Combine cottage cheese, egg, parmesan and a dash of freshly ground pepper.
- Spray a 11x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices, layer half in the 11x13 pan. Sprinkle with flour. Spread with half the cottage cheese mixture, all of the snipped herbs and sauce/meat mixture. Repeat another layer with zucchini, cottage cheese mixture, and sauce/meat mixture.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.