Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Zucchini replaces pasta to reduce the total calorie count.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, brown beef with onion and garlic; drain off any fat. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, basil, oregano, thyme and marjoram; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, ½ of Parmesan cheese and egg; set aside.
- Scrub zucchini; slice lengthwise into 1/8 inch thick slices. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Layer ½ of zucchini in oiled baking dish; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the flour. Top with ½ of cottage cheese mixture and ½ or meat mixture, then with ½ of mozzarella cheese.
- Top with remaining zucchini; sprinkle with remaining flour. Top with remaining cottage cheese mixture, meat mixture and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour. Let stand 20 minutes before serving. Cut into 9 squares. Makes 9 servings.
- New Ideas for Casseroles. . B. Ojakangas.
so good! I used ground turkey instead of beef, and mixed low fat ricotta cheese in with the cottage cheese mixture. My husband loved the meal too!!!