Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love zucchini and sausage together. They complement each other very well. This is a wonderful dish! My kids ate it not realizing it was zucchini. We actually prefer this to using lasagna noodles.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 lb sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese (can use ricotta)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pam on 9x13 pan.
- In frypan heat up butter. Fry zucchini slices until crisp and tender.
- In bowl, combine sauce (reserve 1/4 cup for bottom of pan), sausage, 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, egg, cottage cheese and mushrooms.
- In pan, spread 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Layer 1/3 of the zucchini, 1/3 of the mixture and 1 cup mozzerella cheese.
- Repeat 2 more times.
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes.
This is really good. The cooking time is a little off. You will want to bake this for at least an hour...covered. I sliced the zucchini 1/8 inch thickness.
Wow - this is great stuff! I used fresh mushrooms, hot turkey sausage, and a little less cheese, otherwise made as directed. Fresh, hearty and delicious - thanks for sharing the recipe!
This was really, really great! I kept my sauce and meat mixture seperate from my cheese mixture and made layers the usual way but otherwise stayed pretty close to the recipe. You don't even miss the pasta. Even my husband thought it was great. Thanks, Small Town Cook!