Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Be brave and give this yummy recipe a try. This recipe comes from Machias, NY home of the annual Zucchini Festival. Ground turkey can be used instead of ground beef.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 15 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Brown beef and onion, drain.
- Add in spaghetti sauce and spices. Bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. (These are the lasagna "noodles").
- In a small bowl combine cottage cheese and egg.
- In a GREASED 12x8x2 baking dish, place half the zucchini and sprinkle with half the flour. Top with the cottage cheese mixture and half of the meat mixture.
- Put remaining zucchini and flour on top. Sprinkle with the remaining meat mixture then the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 40 min or until heated through.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired.
- To cut more easily, let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I've been craving lasanga, and this hit the spot! I used a four cheese spaghetti sauce and added garlic powder to taste. It was very easy to make and my family thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for a great recipe!