Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
A great way to use up that zucchini! From the 1995 "Heart Healthy Cookbook" of delicious healthy recipes, Edina, MN. Makes 8, 6-ounce servings.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 6 medium zucchini, sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup grated reduced-fat monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 grated lowfat swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place oil and garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat; saute until garlic is browned.
- Add onion and zucchini; toss well with garlic oil, gently stirring.
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Turn into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on cheeses.
- Cover casserole and let sit for 2 minutes or until cheese melts- Serve immediately.
This recipe is a lot of serving but perfect for leftovers. I used emmenthal cheese instead of swiss cheese. It's almost the same. I cooked the zucchini a few minutes longer cause they were not tender. So yummy. Thanks Bec :) Made for Bargain Basement tag game