Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This heavy healthy vegetable stew is from an old family recipe. Served alone or as a side dish, it can be made in advance, as the taste develops as it rests. This substantial meal is easy to make and tastes great! Enjoy.
- 5 large zucchini (small cubed)
- 5 large potatoes (small cubed)
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 6 cloves fresh garlic (coarsely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 can plum tomato
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 1⁄4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- In a large dutch oven or pressure cooker, over medium heat saute onions and garlic in oil for 2 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes, salt, pepper, parsley and tomates, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini and continue cooking until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow rest.
- In a bowl, beat eggs with grated cheese.
- Using a whipping motion, intergrate the egg mixture into the zucchini.
- The eggs will quickly cook and mixture will become thick.
- A one dish meal served with a salad and a crusty country loaf.
This was average. I probably won't make it again. I see your daughter loves her mum's cooking though Gingerbee!
You won't even beleive how good this one is! Even if you're not really a veggie eater, this is scrumptous!
This is the basic recipe my mother-in-law uses and calls it "Jumbot". She would use fresh tomatoes instead, and anything else she had on hand, any and all vegies left over.I used to turn my nose up at it all the time, and then I finally tried it, now I ask her to make it for me. Wonderful blend of seasonings, such a nice, simple, fairly healthy one dish dinner. I don't recall using the eggs though, and it was still dinner with a fork!! Something special added would be hot sausage, browned and added to the pot!! Mmm Mmm Mmm!!!!!