Recipe by Nelka
This is a Bulgarian classic and my boyfriend’s all-time favorite. He keeps asking me to make it at least once a week. It makes 2-3 servings as a main course and 3-4 as a side dish and I suppose cooking time can be considerably lowered if you use a fryer. I had trouble categorizing it as a Course, and I finally decided to put it under Salads as here it is often sold as a ready-made salad. But if you have better ideas feel free to request a change in category.
- 2 lbs zucchini
- 1 lb plain yogurt
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic (or more according to taste)
- frying fat
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the zucchini and slice them into 1/2 mm (1/5 inch) rings.
- Heat abundant oil in a frying pan and fry the zucchini until golden brown (dont be afraid to overdo them if you like).
- Place the fried zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle each lair with a bit of salt.
- After you finish frying leave the zucchini to cool down.
- Slice the clove of garlic, sprinkle it with a bit of salt, let it sit a while and then smash it.
- Chop the dill and add it to the zucchini together with the garlic and the cold yogurt (you might want to drain it from the excess liquid first so that the mixture gets thicker but I prefer not to).
- Mix well and add more salt if needed.
- This dish should be served at room temperature or cold, so dont be afraid to leave it in the fridge for couple of hours.