Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 medium carrot, sliced,approximately 1/2 cup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- 1 cup biscuit mix
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese or 3⁄4 cup American cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients and pour into greased casserole or baking dishes.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Can also be used as a vegetable side dish for chicken or meatloaf.
As I was making this, I realized why I was probably attracted to it: it's a lot like one of my own recipes, only with cheddar cheese instead of parmesan. Turns out I like it both ways, and the carrot is a nice addition. I put in 2 carrots instead of one, and still didn't feel that there was too much against the quantity of the other ingredients. Two comments on seasoning: I don't like garlic and I usually don't add salt to dishes like this with a good bit of sodium in them already. So I looked for a seasoning that would be compatible with the other ingredients, and wound up adding 1/2 tsp. of basil; I don't know how it would compare to the original recipe, but it tasted fine to me. Also, personal preference, I found the pepper taste too strong and will cut the amount in half next time. I used the low fat Bisquick and it worked well. I also used sharp cheddar and upped the amount to 1 c.; I may even put another quarter-cup in next time, as I couldn't taste the cheese very much-although cutting down on the pepper may help that as well.
This turned out very well. I was puzzled by the biscuit mix without milk, but the omission didn't seem to hurt the end product. This doesn't have a crust, which must have saved on calories. Thank you for posting, Dancer.