Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups seeded chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1 cup cheese. Continue to cook and stir until heated through. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Wow. This is a delicious combination of flavors. I did cook this differently though. I didn't have a lot of time and energy so I layerd all of the ingredients into my casserole dish starting with the uncooked rice and water at the bottom and ending with the cheese. I threw in some slices of eggplant as well since I had it on hand. Then I threw the whole casserole into the oven at 350 for an hour. It cooked up wonderfully and had a gorgeous bubbly cheese crust on top.