Recipe by Monica Livesay
We like to call this summer in a dish at our house. It's not your usual zucchini casserole. It's a big hit at home and for potlucks. Never any leftovers. This will be a summertime tradition at your house also. Once you try it you're hooked!
Top Review by Mydoggiesmom
This was great! I made some changes to suit our tastes by adding garlic, italian seasoning, and a jalepeno pepper, and did not use mushrooms, also only 1 TBS of sugar was used, and I let the cooked zucchini drain in the colander for at least 30 minutes, so it wouldn't be watery. Everybody loved it. Thank you for the recipe!
- 3 medium zucchini
- 3 medium yellow squash
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 2 (6 -8 ounce) cans mushrooms, drained or 12 -14 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- additional butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse zucchini and squash, slice lengthwise and quarter.
- Boil in salted water until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, sauté chopped onion, green pepper, and mushrooms in butter until tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, flour and sugar. Cook and stir about 3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Coat a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Add zucchini and squash. Top with vegetable mixture. Top with cheese.
- Top with enough bread crumbs to cover with a medium thickness. Dot with butter.
- Bake at 350°F until bubbly and golden brown.