Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I was given a whole heap of zucchini and made various slices out of them. This one turned out great and is a change from the usual zucchini, bacon and carrot version. Cheese can be easily added to suit your own tastes. Other veggies such as broccoli and capsicum work too. Inspired by an Aussie cooking mag.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 100 g shaved ham, sliced finely
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 3 medium zucchini, grated
- 350 g butternut pumpkin, grated
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C Fan forced). Line a 20cm square baking pan with baking paper.
- Heat oil in pan over moderate heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add ham and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Whisk eggs with milk in large bowl. Add zucchini, pumpkin, and ham mixture. Fold flour through mix and season with Italian herbs and salt & pepper to taste. Spoon mix into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35- 40 minute, until slice is golden and set. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before slicing.
PAC 2010 recipe. I was a little hesitant at first when I saw the ingredients but was pleased with the outcome. Rich and creamy and would be a great fall dish.
An easy and fabulous dish - I left out the ham and used leftover cooked pumpkin that I diced up tiny and it looks great and tastes wonderful - golden on top and firm but creamy inside - thanks Calms79
I thought this was quite nice. Loved the flavour. I was a little hesitant to make this because quite frankly I'd never heard of a loaf with meat and raw butternut squash before. Well....it's great! Reminds me mostly of a quiche. It is quite filling too, but packed with good stuff. You can't beat all those veggies and protein. Thanks Calms79, for opening my eyes to something new and for me, different. I think this could serve a lot more than three people. Would be wonderful for a brunch!!!