1/2 Photos of Zucchini Gratin (goat Cheese)
This makes a tasty side dish that won't overpower your main dish, and is attractive as well. I always peel my zucchini first, but I'll leave that up to your personal preference. I also use the slightly aged goat cheese, not the really soft one. Preparation time does not include cooling time for the zucchini mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs zucchini, coarsely shredded
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 beaten eggs
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F, and coat a 1-quart shallow baking or casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- 2Place the shredded zucchini in a bowl and add salt to taste, mixing well.
- 3This will be a seasoning as well as an agent to draw out moisture.
- 4Let stand for 5 minutes, then drain the water that has collected at the bottom of the bowl.
- 5Heat 1 TBS olive oil over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet.
- 6Add the zucchini and black pepper to taste, and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated.
- 7If this goes well beyond 10 minutes, you may drain the zucchini and return to the skillet, but you really do want to get rid of all the moisture.
- 8Add the garlic, mix well and cook 5 minutes more, stirring as needed.
- 9Stir in the parsley and basil, and remove from heat.
- 10Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- 11Beat the eggs and goat cheese together in a bowl.
- 12This may be done with a whisk, but do try to break the cheese down into small bits and incorporate well with the eggs.
- 13Stir the cooled zucchini into the egg mixture, then spoon into the baking dish.
- 14Top with bread crumbs and drizzle the remaining TBS olive oil over the top.
- 15Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Gratin (goat Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.0
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 128.1 mg
- Sodium 230.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 12.7 g