Recipe by FlemishMinx
This makes a tasty side dish that won't overpower your main dish, and is attractive as well. I always peel my zucchini first, but I'll leave that up to your personal preference. I also use the slightly aged goat cheese, not the really soft one. Preparation time does not include cooling time for the zucchini mixture.
Top Review by Barb G.
Yummy, This is delicious and easy dish to prepare. Had zucchini out of the garden. I did use feta cheese as that is what I had and it tasted great. I halved the recipe for the 2 of us, but next time I'm goung to make the full recipe as it is so good the next day also make it with goat cheese.
- 2 lbs zucchini, coarsely shredded
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 beaten eggs
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F, and coat a 1-quart shallow baking or casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a bowl and add salt to taste, mixing well.
- This will be a seasoning as well as an agent to draw out moisture.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then drain the water that has collected at the bottom of the bowl.
- Heat 1 TBS olive oil over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add the zucchini and black pepper to taste, and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated.
- If this goes well beyond 10 minutes, you may drain the zucchini and return to the skillet, but you really do want to get rid of all the moisture.
- Add the garlic, mix well and cook 5 minutes more, stirring as needed.
- Stir in the parsley and basil, and remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the eggs and goat cheese together in a bowl.
- This may be done with a whisk, but do try to break the cheese down into small bits and incorporate well with the eggs.
- Stir the cooled zucchini into the egg mixture, then spoon into the baking dish.
- Top with bread crumbs and drizzle the remaining TBS olive oil over the top.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.