Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This soup is amazing, my all time favorite. I found the recipe in an old Taste of Home magazine. Sometimes I add the cheddar cheese, sometimes I don't. It's delicious either way.
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 44.37 ml butter
- 78.07 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 709.77 ml water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 236.59 ml frozen corn
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese (optional)
- 0.25 ml sugar
- additional chopped parsley
- In large kettle over medium heat, saute onion, zucchini, parsley, and basil in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Add bouillon and lemon juice; mix well.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, milk, and corn; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Just before serving, stir in cheeses until melted.
- Add sugar and garnish with parsley.
YUMMY! I made some substitutions based on ingredients on hand and doubled the recipe overall (to feed our hungry family of 5 with a little for leftovers). Used fresh dill instead of parsley, a little cream (under a cup) instead of evaporated milk, fresh cherry tomatoes (cut in half) instead of canned, and about 1/2 cup of a blend of hard italian cheeses instead of the parmesan/cheddar combination. Our family - including young kiddos - gobbled it up! Thanks for the great recipe, Sallyanne!
This is wonderful. I did make a dew changes; less parsley, 3C chicken stock and 1 bouillon cube, 1/2 can of the tomatoes, I didn't want to over power the delicate flavor with tomatoes. I also added 1/4 lb of black forrest ham chopped. Really, really great!!!
That's where I found the recipe also. I enjoy the heartiness without the need for meat.