Recipe by Sallyanne
This soup is amazing, my all time favorite. I found the recipe in an old Taste of Home magazine. Sometimes I add the cheddar cheese, sometimes I don't. It's delicious either way.
Top Review by Girle
YUMMY! I made some substitutions based on ingredients on hand and doubled the recipe overall (to feed our hungry family of 5 with a little for leftovers). Used fresh dill instead of parsley, a little cream (under a cup) instead of evaporated milk, fresh cherry tomatoes (cut in half) instead of canned, and about 1/2 cup of a blend of hard italian cheeses instead of the parmesan/cheddar combination. Our family - including young kiddos - gobbled it up! Thanks for the great recipe, Sallyanne!
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 pinch sugar
- additional chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In large kettle over medium heat, saute onion, zucchini, parsley, and basil in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Add bouillon and lemon juice; mix well.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, milk, and corn; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Just before serving, stir in cheeses until melted.
- Add sugar and garnish with parsley.