Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was stunned that my husband liked these so much..he is not a "greens" kinda guy. This is a great way to use up some of the summer bounty. I serve this with grilled Greek chicken. Be generous with the fresh herbs.
- 2 lbs small zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese (or equal parts feta and kasseri)
- 6 green onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (Italian)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- fresh ground pepper
- canola oil (for frying)
- Place the zucchini in a sieve or colander, salt it lightly and toss to mix.
- Let stand for 30 minutes to draw out the excess moisture.
- Using a kitchen towel, squeeze the zucchini dry and place it in a bowl.
- Crumble the cheese over the zucchini and add the green onions, dill, mint, parsley, eggs, flour and salt and pepper to taste; stir to mix well.
- In a deep frying pan over medium-high heat, pour in the oil to a depth of 1/8 inch.
- When the oil is hot, using a serving spoon, drop spoonfuls of the batter into the oil, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Fry, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon or spatula, transfer the fritters to paper towels to drain.
- Keep warm until all the fritters are cooked.
- Arrange the fritters on a warmed platter and serve hot.