Recipe by LizAnn
The beauty of this recipe is it uses 8 cups of shredded zucchini. My 12 year old son grows his own zucchini and asks me frequently to make this for dinner. A family favorite, I usually serve it with tortilla chips, homemade salsa and fresh slices of cold melon.
Top Review by katia
Wordeful, easy and so tasty! I also made one serving just for myself to take with me at work as a lunch. I didn't use any garlic but I made everything else as written. I loved the sweetness from the onions and zucchini. Its a keeper. Thanks for sharing!
- 8 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini (about three pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne or 1 pinch hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the shredded zucchini in a towel or several layers of cheese cloth, gather ends and twist hard sqeezing out as much liquid as possible.
- Heat oil and butter in a large oven proof skillet (I use cast iron) and saute onion and garlic for 30 seconds. Add the zucchini and cook the vegetables over moderately low heat, stirring often, until the zucchini is just tender. Pour off any liquid that collects in the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat together eggs, milk, seasonings, and 2 Tbs. of the parmesean cheese.
- Add to zucchini mixture, and cook, stirring often, until the eggs begin to set.
- Sprinkle the Frittata with remainder parmesean cheese and place the pan under the broiler or in a very hot oven (500)until the top of the Frittata is lightly browned (this happens fast so keep a close watch so it doesn't burn).
- Let stand a few minutes before slicing into wedges.