Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just another way to use up that zucchini from your garden.
- 2 lbs zucchini, shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 3⁄4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Place shredded zucchini in a colender set over a bowl. Add salt and toss to mix. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Press zucchini with back of a spoon to press out excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine egg sub., onion, oregano, basil and hot pepper flakes in a large bowl. Stir in cheese and zucchini and mix well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9" pie plate.
- Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes or until golden and set.
- Serve right away or cool to room temperature and serve.
I really like this! It was a bit spicey for my taste, but I'm a wimp when it comes to peppers. I didn't have quite two pounds of zucchini, so added a couple of yellow squash, which made it very pretty. Also, I used real eggs (3 or 4) and used pepper jack cheese instead of the regular monterey jack cheese and the hot pepper flakes. Since it was on the too-spicey side for me, I shall make it again with regular monterey jack and just a few hot pepper flakes and suspect I shall be back with a 5-star rating. Made for PAC Fall 2007. Thanks, Parsley!
My other half is a big fan of frittatas so I made this especially for him [well, almost ~ let's be honest ~ I also made it for me!]. I did cut back on the hot pepper flakes, but only a little [yeah, right!] & cut way back on the salt! It was was still extremely tasty & hardly made the cool-down to room temperature! Thanks for this posting!