Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
This goes back a long time, it is very good!
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, slightly beated
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 4 cups crushed Corn Chex
- oil, for deep-frying
- Cut zucchini in half widthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into 8 wedges; set aside.
- In bowl combine the flour, onion salt, oregano and garlic powder.
- Combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended.
- Dip zucchini wedges in batter, then roll in crushed cereal.
- In a deep fryer or electric frypan, heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry zucchini wedges, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, drain on paper towels.
This recipe is in my Taste of Home cookbook....we loved it. I made rounds instead of wedges and also used crushed cornflakes. My new zucchini recipe!!
These were good! Don't underestimate the amount of corn chex you need I did and ran out halfway through! I used Panko for the second batch of fries which were good but not as good as the cornflakey ones. I could see this being a base for other veggies e.g. mushrooms and replace the oregano with tarragon. They were messy to make but such is the nature of breaded things! I served some as a side with a stir fry and had the rest reheated the next day and dipped in honey mustard dip yum!