Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you like crispy, battered zucchini, this is the lowfat alternative for you!! I could not believe it, but they came out crispy!! The egg whites are the secret. The recipe below is straight off the WW website. The flour definitely needs MORE seasoning though - garlic? Cayenne? Salt after they're out of the oven? I will be perfecting this for our family's tastes, but these zukes are going into our regular rotation!! Like I said, if you are looking for a lowfat batter alternative that's is NOT like the "corn flake baked" variety....this is for you!
- olive oil flavored cooking spray, 4 sprays
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in quarters lengthwise and then each quarter halved
- 2 large egg whites, whipped until frothy (almost soft peaks)
- Preheat oven to 500ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together Italian seasoning, flour and salt. Place bread crumbs in another small bowl.
- Dredge a zucchini fry in flour mixture and then dip into egg whites; dredge in bread crumbs. Place coated zucchini on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients; liberally coat with cooking spray.
- Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 10 minutes.
- Serving size: about 8 fries.
- Use this technique with any summer squash or even eggplant. Works great with thick-cut onion rings or even green tomatoes.
Great zucchini sticks! The cook time/temp was just right and mine came out nice and crunchy. The only thing I will do differently next time is cut my sticks a little smaller. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Great crunch!. I added more Italian seasoning because i didn't want bland as someone said. I cut my zuchinni into smaller pieces and therefore needed much more of the flour seasoning mix. Due to the lengthy preparation time I won't be making these again.
Wonderful recipe. I followed the advise and cut my sticks smaller and they were great. I also added some more seasonings to the flour because it's a little bland. I was out of eggs, so used meringue powder instead - worked great.