Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you're sick of making the same bread every 10 days, try this one!
- 1 1⁄2 cups amish starter (see recipezaar.com/321840)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup oil (or 1/2 oil & 1/2 applesauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding (large size)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325’.
- To the remaining batter add eggs, baking powder, oil, baking soda, milk, vanilla, 1 cup sugar, flour, salt, pudding, 2 tsp cinnamon, zucchini (make sure the excess liquid is squeezed out), and nuts.
- Note: It is easier to mix if you combine the dry ingredients (except for sugar and pudding) in another bowl then add it slowly to the batter.
- Grease bottom and sides of 2 large loaf pans or spray with Pam. Mix ½ cup sugar and 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl. Dust the insides of each of the pans with half of the mixture, making sure to cover the bottom and sides well.
- Pour batter evenly into the 2 pans and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture over top of the batter.
- Bake for about 75 minutes but start checking after 50 minutes. Remove when toothpick comes out clean. Cool until the bread loosens from the pan easily. Turn onto serving dish. May be served warm or cold. Enjoy.
This was good use of the starter that I needed to use up. It makes a very moist dense sweet bread. We used sugar free butterscotch pudding (the flavor we had on hand), so sugarfree will work, may try to use splenda in place of sugar next time. I will try it with the vanilla pudding or maybe leaving it out completely and seeing what happens. I will be making this again, thank you for posting RedheadAblaze.