1/1 Photo of Zucchini Filled With Three Cheeses With Homemade Tomato Sauce
Absolutely delicious! Not for those watching the bulge, but all things in moderation right? From Take Home Chef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the homemade tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the sherry glaze and zucchini
- 1To make the homemade tomato sauce: Heat the oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onions soften. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute. Stir in the white wine.
- 2Add the fresh and canned tomatoes, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a gentle simmer then decrease the heat to medium-low so that the sauce simmers gently. Allow the sauce to gently simmer for about 1 ½ hours or until the tomatoes are mushy and the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary to cover the tomatoes before they become tender.
- 3Remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool. Place the tomato sauce in a 15x10-inch/38x25-cm baking dish.
- 4To prepare the sherry glaze and zucchini: Boil the sherry vinegar in a heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to a glaze, about 18 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the sherry glaze to cool. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the seeds from each zucchini half.
- 5Stir the ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in a bowl to blend. Season the cheese mixture to taste with pepper.Stuff the zucchini with the cheese mixture, covering the cut side of the zucchini halves and mounding slightly.
- 6Place the zucchini halves atop the tomato sauce in the baking dish. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the zucchini are tender and the cheese filling is heated through.
- 7Preheat the broiler. Transfer the baking dish to the broiler and broil for 30 seconds, or until the cheese filling is golden on top. Place the stuffed zucchini on plates with a little tomato sauce. Drizzle the sherry glaze around the outside edge of the plates and serve.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Filled With Three Cheeses With Homemade Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (595 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.9
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 69.9 mg
- Sodium 765.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 24.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar