Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is a recipe that I adopted in the Recipezaar recipe give-away of Feb 2005 and made only a couple minor changes. I like it. Preparation time does not include 30 minutes chilling time.
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini, cut crosswise in 1/4 inch-thick slices
- 1⁄2 lb crookneck yellow squash, cut crosswise in 1/4 inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup green chili, diced
- 1⁄3 cup pimento stuffed olive, cut in half crosswise
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 small avocado
- lettuce leaf
- fresh cilantro
- Steam zucchini and crookneck squash over boiling water until crisp-tender (about 3 minutes).
- Plunge into ice water to cool; drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, salt, and cumin.
- Add drained squash and stir lightly; chill for 30 minutes.
- Add onion, chilies, olives, and cheese.
- Peel and pit avocado; cut into small cubes.
- Add to salad and mix lightly.
- To serve, arrange lettuce leaves on 4 salad plates.
- Mound equal portions of salad on each plate.
- Garnish each salad with a sprig of coriander.
Great salad! I didn't measure out the lemon juice (I just squeezed a whole, small lemon) and I replaced some of the cream cheese with mozzarella because I didn't have enough of either for a full recipe. This was nice and light, but also filling enough because of the cheese. A lovely summer salad...thanks for posting!