Recipe by Ms*Bindy
Posted for Zaar World Tour. Recipe comes from Moosewood. (I'm calling it East European...even though the tamari and cheddar don't quite fit that cuisine!)
- 3⁄4 cup bulgur
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup feta cheese, grated
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2-1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bulgur in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it.
- Cover and set aside until it has absorbed the water.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until onions are translucent.
- Add the zucchini, dried herbs, and black pepper; saute on low to medium heat until zucchini is tender, but not too soft.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- Mix in the feta and cottage cheese.
- Add the parsley, tomato paste and soy sauce to the bulgur and mix well.
- Assemble the casserole in a greased 9X9 casserole dish.
- First layer the bulgur mixture, next the sauteed vegetables, and then the feta mix.
- Top the casserole with grated cheese and tomato slices.
- Bake covered at 350 F for 45 minutes. If you like the top crusty, uncover for last 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and wait 5-10 minutes before serving.