Recipe by basia1
For a recipe request for bulgar recipes. This looks amazing, and I can't wait to try it. Originally from "Taste Without Waist; The Service League of Hickory NC, Inc.", posted by Kim Reese.
Top Review by KLHquilts
I liked it! At first I thought it was too mild to rate five stars, but after the first few bites I realized I really enjoyed it. I particularly liked the difference in textures -- the chewiness of the bulgur, the softness of the vegetables, and the creaminess of the cheese were great together. I too used a combination of eggs and egg whites, and substituted fat-free ricotta for the fat-free cottage cheese (didn't have any on hand, and needed to use up my ricotta). I also had to substitute mozzarella for cheddar; next time I'll use a good, sharp cheese and that'll make it even better. Thanks for posting this!
- 3⁄4 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 medium peeled thin sliced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour boiling water over bulgur and set aside until soft and chewy.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Add zucchini, herbs and pepper.
- Stir until zucchini is tender.
- Mix egg beaters, feta and cottage cheese.
- Add parsley, tomato paste and soy sauce to bulgar and mix.
- Spray a 10x5 inch casserole with non-stick spray.
- Assemble the casserole: Layer bulgur mixture first, follow with vegetables then feta mixture.
- Top with tomato slices and cheddar cheese.
- Srinkle with sesame seeds if using.
- Bake covered at 350F for 45 minutes.
- Uncover last 15 minutes.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving.